Friday, September 23, 2011

Days 12 & 13

Last night and today I was in Cedar Rapids attending the African American Women's Leadership Conference. We got in last night in time to attend a gala that celebrates Black women history-makers, including Iowa's first Black woman judge. At lunch we listened to Dr. Terry Wahls, who overcame severe symptoms of multiple sclerosis, including confinement in a wheelchair for 4 years, through a change in her diet.

Needless to say I was incredibly excited to listen to Dr. Wahls. Right up my alley. I like that she puts a  disclaimer out there that the FDA is not endorsing her speech but rather she is looking to share her story with others. I get it, but have to tell you I also get why not a lot of people are successful. I think people can easily be separated into those who are okay asking for stuff and those who are not.  If you know me, you know that I am not the kind of person who is afraid to ask about options.  But last night and tonight proved to be a challenge as I tried to explain my dietary restrictions to very nice, well-intentioned people.

Dinner last night was okay.  I'm pretty sure there was butter in the mashed potatoes and can't swear there wasn't any butter in the mushroom gravy covering my mixed veggies.  Lunch however was a buffet and I was left with salad and heavily buttered broccoli and carrots.  The chef made a side dish of rice pilaf, which I'm thinking was cooked in chicken broth.  I didn't want to be hungry all day, which I knew would happen if all I ate was salad, so I downed the buttered veggies.  So that was my bad word of the past two days - BUTTER.

Like I said, I have no problems whatsoever asking to see if they had vegan options during my trip, but it was certainly uncomfortable.  I felt like I was a burden.  I texted Jason on my way home from Cedar Rapids and demanded nicely we go somewhere I know I can eat a hearty meal without feeling guilty.  Probably best to pack a cooler and request a refrigerator next time I travel.  

Day 12 Menu:

  • Breakfast - Nature's Path Blueberry Cinnamon cereal w/ fresh blueberries and almondmilk
  • Lunch - Black bean and corn salad w/ mango lime cilantro rice
  • Snack - Carrots, pita chips and roasted garlic hummus
  • Dinner - Salad, ciabbatta bread, green beans almondine, mashed potatoes, veggies w/ mushroom gravy (isn't the tablecloth fabulous?)



Day 13 Menu:
  • Breakfast - English muffin w/ peanut butter, bowl of fresh fruit (pineapple, melon, strawberry)
  • Lunch - Salad, sauteed broccoli and carrot, rice pilaf
  • Snack - Trail mix w/ raw almonds, dried cranberries, banana chips
  • Dinner - On the Border veggie fajitas w/ zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, portabello mushrooms; lime cilantro rice and black beans; guacamole, salsa and chips



No comments:

Post a Comment