Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day -1

Today is my husband Jason's birthday. He's 35 and can proudly say he's in the best shape of his life. I think all the fat he's lost on his vegan journey since January has gone to my ass.  But I am incredibly proud of him.  As he reviewed pics on his laptop of the times he started p90x and marveled at how much weight he has lost, I got a little excited (get your mind out of the gutter) to think that could be me in a few months.

Two weeks ago, the day before I was diagnosed with pneumonia (in the summer nonetheless), I was on my laptop watching bootleg episodes of True Blood while Jason was on the couch perusing Netflix to watch a documentary about plant based diets.  He ended up watching "Forks Over Knives". To be honest, I had no intention of looking up from my guilty pleasure of vampires having sex, but I kept getting drawn to the documentary.  There was a woman with type2 diabetes who reversed her condition with a plant-based diet.  There was a fireman who, in 3 weeks, had his cholesterol drop from 344 to 200 just by foregoing all meat products, dairy, and processed foods. There was a guy who was on 10 different meds, who after sticking to a vegan diet for 8 months, stopped taking all his medication and became the healthiest he's ever been.  I stopped watching vampire sex and paid attention.

Now, I should disclose, I love meat.  I mean, seriously love it.  Jason never in a million years would have thought me to go batty and adopt his dietary lifestyle.  I never in a million years would have thought I'd go batty enough to adopt his dietary lifestyle.  But here I am, ready to give it a try.

I made dinner for Jason's birthday tonight.  It was all plant-based, except for my last scoop of vanilla ice cream for the next three weeks.  And damn, it was tasty.  I start my journey officially tomorrow with the help of http://pcrm.org/kickstarthome/. Wish me luck, or even better, join me on this journey!

Day -1 Dinner Menu:

  • Vegetable Stack - portobella mushroom, eightball zucchini, summer squash, beefsteak tomato, red onion
  • Grilled Asparagus
  • Ear of Corn
  • Grilled Peaches and Bananas w/ Balsamic Glaze
  • 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream (Can't lie, I'll totally miss you ice cream)




No comments:

Post a Comment