Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 6

I'm watching Sanjay Gupta's CNN report "The Last Heart Attack" about plant-based diets and am more convinced now that I've made the right decision.  Did you know in the U.S. we spend $50 BILLION annually on open heart surgeries?  And in the next 5 years, 33 MILLION Americans will have heart disease? That is insane to me.  The report mentions that after one year on a vegan, plant-based diet arteries actually showed a reversal of blockages that lead to heart attacks.

For the last two days, the kids have had minimal animal products (Isaac only gets a little at his daycare and Malea has had none at all).  Jason and I have taken the time to make their lunches and talk to them about what's on their dinner plates.  They may not like it at first, but they eat it.  I'm pretty sure in the past week they've eaten more variety of veggies and fruits than they ever have before.

As much as I may complain or covet food that has dairy or meat products in it, I really have to stop myself and ask if it's worth potentially $112,000 for open heart surgery and a shorter lifespan or if I would rather live longer with more energy.  Really it's a no-brainer isn't it?  But I know changing behavior is hard, so I'll take it one day at a time.  So far, so good.

Day 6 Menu:

  • Breakfast - Kashi Island Vanilla Shredded Wheat with raspberries and almondmilk
  • Snack - Salsa fresca and veggie flax tortilla chips
  • Lunch - Black bean and corn salad with mango lime cilantro brown rice
  • Snack - Cashew, almond, and cranberry trail mix
  • Dinner - Whole wheat spaghetti with sauteed kale, spinach, zucchini and onion in marinara sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment