Sunday, October 2, 2011

Days 20 & 21

I did it! Three weeks of conscious meat-product-free (or as close as I could get it) eating.  Before the weekend hit, I had consigned myself to a celebration of cheese pizza and artichoke dip at J. Benjamin's in Windsor Heights.  Then, on Friday, I came up with a crazy idea to congratulate myself instead by taking an impromptu trip to Iowa City with the family and eating well at their vegan restaurants there.  It seemed like a better trade-off: cheese pizza and gaining weight versus hotel/new restaurants/fun outdoorsy stuff with the family.

We had an amazing weekend tromping around at a fossil gorge in Coralville Lake, eating sumptuous vegan food at The Red Avocado and Fair Grounds Coffeehouse, and strolling the beautiful paths of Wilson's Apple Orchard.  In retrospect, I really am proud of myself of these past three weeks.  A person might think, "What the hell? It's only three weeks."  But try comparing giving up meat, dairy, and eggs to giving up smoking cigarettes cold turkey. Or a crack addict giving up crack completely.  Cheesy pepperoni pizza is my crack.  I don't deny the difficulty of trying to do this long-term, and by far the best advice I can give to any newbie going down this path is to make sure you are entering this journey with a partner or friend who is as committed (if not more committed) to making this major lifestyle change.  I don't know how Jason did it with me still scarfing down all that cheese and meat in front of him.  Definitely helps that he was a long-term vegetarian already.  And that he accepts all my crazy completely and fully.

I'll keep you updated on a weekly basis to let you know how it's going.  Next week, I plan to add an exercise program, so you know the next time you hear from me I'll be dead sexy.  Kidding...

Day 20 Menu:

  • Breakfast - Orange juice and whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter
  • Lunch - Basil fried rice, double veggies/no egg (if I had to choose a last meal this would for sure be it)
  • Dinner - Roasted mushroom tacos, guacamole and chips
Day 21 Menu:
  • Breakfast - Chocolate banana protein shake, toasted whole wheat pita w/ peanut butter
  • Lunch - Whole wheat pita sandwich w/ hummus, spinach, red onion, mushrooms, and red pepper
  • Dinner - Red Avocado's pasta primavera (garlic infused olive oil, roasted seasonal veggies, and capers)
  • Late night snack - Vegan chocolate chip cookies from New Pioneer Co-Op (Iowa City) and soy milk




Day 22 Menu (just for shits and giggles):
  • Breakfast - Fair Grounds Coffeehouse vegan mocha, vegan Bananas Foster french toast w/ maple syrup and soy butter (the breakfast here was UNREAL)
  • Lunch - Subway veggie delight w/ honey mustard, chips, diet Coke





No comments:

Post a Comment