Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 1 Reboot

Today is Day 1 - hooray! After an anxious night and weird dreams about my son getting kidnapped and me going all Jason Bourne on the dude that tried to take him, I began my day with a bit of trepidation.  It got much better when Jason (my darling husband, not Jason Bourne) announced that as part of my Valentine's Day present, he will be my personal chef for these next 15 days.  I almost melted, then had to clean the floor to wipe up the sticky juice he spilled.  Jason does not necessarily believe in my kitchen motto of "A good chef is a clean chef".  But his heart is certainly in the right place.

So the morning went fairly well, starting the day off with a bowl of yummy fruit salad and Minty Fresh Berry juice.

Then, we went grocery shopping.  Jason has asked our 7-year-old daughter, Malea, to keep a running list of our "essentials" and price check each store.  Seriously, she has a little notebook where she's tracked our produce and notes off to the side of how much each costs at every store we've purchased the item from in the past week.  So grocery shopping took a bit longer.  And I didn't bring a snack.  And we were at Costco, where evil store people were handing out chicken wings and pieces of gourmet chocolate all willy nilly like they had no idea someone was fasting nearby. The nerve, right?  The kids were hungry so I bought them a hot dog to share, and I probably could have given my right hand to shove that hot dog in my gullet.  I was not in a good mood.  I could feel myself staring bullets at the cashier lady at Wal-Mart when she commented on my beets, "Oh you eat so healthy!  Not a bit of candy or anything in your cart!"

Jason must have gotten my not-so-subtle clues as I snapped at him when I couldn't deal with the carseat seatbelt.  He calmly told me he could handle it and said he would fix me lunch as soon as we got home.  And he sure did - kale chips and a cabbage slaw salad with the most delicious homemade ginger garlic soy dressing.  Hmmm, hungry Rhea is an angry Rhea.  Better check that quick.


No comments:

Post a Comment